Negative calorie foods are those that require more food energy for digestion than the food itself provides. Such foods are great for weight loss because the energy it takes to digest the meal means that every bit of the food is used—all nutrients, vitamins, and other properties. Negative calorie foods are also low GI, or low glycemic, which means they expel more energy over time than other foods, keeping you fuller longer. One of the greatest benefits of negative calorie foods is that they create a calorie deficit. In order to remedy this, your body burns stored fat as its source of energy—which results in safe and easy weight loss.
Why You Want Negative Calories In Your Diet
Negative calorie foods come with many benefits that can give you the extra energy you need throughout your day. When you add these foods to your diet, you get the following health perks:
• Faster Metabolism: Your metabolism is responsible for breaking down food to give your body energy and control your weight. The faster your metabolic rate, the better your chances are for losing unwanted to weight. Negative calorie foods especially help with fat burning instead of fat storage, breaking down your chances of putting on and saving excess weight.
• Stabilized Blood Sugar Levels: When your blood sugar is stable, you feel better, more alert, and have higher energy. It also helps to stabilize your mood so you can get through your day without worrying about bothersome highs and lows.
• Negative Calorie Foods Act as Gentle Diuretics: These foods also help to remove excess water from your body which eliminates bloated feelings and puffiness.
• A Cleansed Liver: Your liver is one of the main organs that help with burning fat. When it stays clean and healthy, it can burn fat faster and more efficiently, helping you to lose weight and keep it off.
• Encourage Anti-Inflammation: These foods often contain an anti-inflammatory effect which helps to improve your circulation. This means less soreness, stiffness, and muscle pain.
Try These 10 Negative Calorie Foods
Without further ado, check out this list of the 10 best negative calorie foods:
1. Celery: Containing only 18 calories, celery is very low in saturated fat and cholesterol. It is a great source of Vitamin B6, riboflavin, calcium, and dietary fiber.
2. Oranges: High in vitamin C and fiber and weighing in at 85 calories per serving, oranges are a super hydrating fruit. They offer a lot of energy and help to promote overall health, wellness, and weight loss.
3. Grapefruit: Grapefruits are ultra-hydrating, contain even more vitamin C than other citrus fruits and contain 96 calories per serving. Low in fat and a good source of protein, these fruits can be eaten for breakfast, added to dessert, or you can even drink the juice high in Vitamin A and C, and folate.
4. Hot Chili Peppers: With only 15 calories per serving, hot chili peppers add a kick of flavor to every dish. They’re low in fats and carbs and contain high levels of Vitamin C and A.
5. Tomatoes: These contain 25 calories per serving, are low in fat, and a good source of fiber.
6. Cucumbers: Cucumbers contain only about 7-8 calories per serving. They are also low in fat and a good source of Vitamin A, K, and C.
7. Lettuce: Lettuce contain less than 1 calorie in each serving. It’s low in just about everything and is a good source of vitamin A and K.
8. Cauliflower: At 25 calories, cauliflower is a great source of Vitamin A, C, and K. It also contains high levels of calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
9. Carrots: With just 5 calories, carrots are a hydrating snack that you can take on the go. They are high in potassium and are also a good source of phosphorous and Vitamin A.
10. Tangerines: These delicious little fruits contain 103 calories are a great source of calcium and potassium.